What are my building setbacks?

A setback is the distance between a structure and a property line, a natural feature, a road right-of-way, and other improvements. In all residential and rural zoning districts, setbacks are required from all property lines and roadways.

Setbacks vary with zoning but can also be affected by further restrictions recorded on subdivision maps. Front yard road setbacks for residential uses are 20 feet from the edge of the road right-of-way (not the edge of pavement), or 45 feet from the centerline of the road right-of-way, whichever is greater. All residential and rural properties must maintain a 30 foot setback from the side and rear property lines; however, if your parcel is less than three acres in size and your property is served by public water, the setback from the side property line can be reduced to 10 feet, and the rear setback reduced to 20', subject to certain fire protection measures.

The front property line is the side containing the road right-of-way or easement. The rear property line is the line opposite the front line. For determining setbacks on corner properties, the front line is the shorter line abutting the road (not the driveway access). Section L-II 4.2.5.E. of Zoning Ordinance can assist in determining which is the front property line for unusual property configurations.

Show All Answers

1. What are the fees for different Planning Department services?
2. How do I make a request for project notification?
3. What is my zoning?
4. How can I change my zoning?
5. How do I get a map of my property?
6. Can my property be subdivided?
7. Are there any environmental constraints on my property?
8. What are my building setbacks?
9. Can I put a Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) on my property?
10. Who is authorized to prepare biological inventories in the unincorporated County?
11. How do I file a land use complaint?
12. Is my property in a floodplain?
13. Can I have animals on my property?
14. What are the timelines for processing land use permits?