I’m a renter and my landlord is not managing the property. What should I do?

Alert them that the property does not meet current code requirements through a friendly phone call and that you are concerned for your safety in the case of a wildfire event.  If all reasonable attempt of friendly conversations and request have failed, then it’s time to bring in the appropriate local agency. That could be the City, Town, County, CAL FIRE, or your local Fire District (whatever agency is most appropriate for your situation) and they can help provide guidance, look at the property, talk with the owner, and move the process forward.  Most agencies have a defensible space inspection request form, and/or a hazardous vegetation complaint form located on their agency’s public website.

Show All Answers

1. What are the defensible space laws?
2. There are areas of concern in my neighborhood. What is the best way to remedy them?
3. I’ve tried talking to neighbors and working with Firewise Communities to create change but it isn’t working. Where can I report a concerning property? Can someone force them to fix it?
4. I’m a renter and my landlord is not managing the property. What should I do?
5. Where can I dispose of green waste?
6. Are there any grants available to help me pay for cleaning up my property?
7. What is permissible at the green waste drop sites?
8. Can I get a schedule of planned large clearing projects?
9. Where can I get materials for my home to make it more fire-resistant?
10. How can I find out if I’m in a Firewise Community or learn how to start one?
11. What are the building codes for vents?
12. Are there local community emergency exercises?
13. What has been the County’s community outreach effort?
14. Does the County have a wildfire plan?
15. Is there a local wildfire task force?