Is my property in a floodplain?

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance Rate Maps for most of Nevada County were updated by FEMA on February 3, 2010.  These maps indicate the approximate location of the floodplains for the major drainage courses within the County. Floodplains may be mapped for entire properties or portions of properties. The maps are available for viewing at the Planning Department Front Counter. 

Constructing or placing fill within a floodplain requires a use permit. Additionally, zoning regulations establish a 100 foot non-disturbance buffer from the boundaries of a floodplain. If you propose construction in or near a floodplain you are advised to obtain a copy of the County Floodplain Ordinance and/or the Zoning Ordinance for reducing buffer areas. Copies are available at the Planning Department Front Counter.

Show All Answers

1. What are the fees for different Planning Department services?
2. How do I make a request for project notification?
3. What is my zoning?
4. How can I change my zoning?
5. How do I get a map of my property?
6. Can my property be subdivided?
7. Are there any environmental constraints on my property?
8. What are my building setbacks?
9. Can I put a Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) on my property?
10. Who is authorized to prepare biological inventories in the unincorporated County?
11. How do I file a land use complaint?
12. Is my property in a floodplain?
13. Can I have animals on my property?
14. What are the timelines for processing land use permits?