What is my zoning?

The Nevada County Zoning Ordinance establishes 21 Base Zoning Districts and several Combining Districts. Base districts establish allowable uses and the site development standards for your property. Combining districts provide any additional or unique requirements that may apply to your property. All properties have a base zoning. Only some properties have combining districts.

Every parcel has a specific zoning designation, such as Commercial, Residential or General Agricultural. Do not assume your zoning is the same as your neighbor's zoning. Zoning designations are shown on official Zoning District Maps, usually combined with a numerical symbol that shows the minimum parcel size and/or the maximum allowable density. For example, if your property is zoned "AG-10-ME," your base zoning is General Agricultural, the minimum parcel size for subdividing is 10-acres, and there is a "Mineral Extraction" combining district attached.

While it is not typical, zoning can change without notice so it is in your best interest to check your zoning before you plan to sell, or develop you property. You will need to know the address or Assessor's Parcel Number of the property for which you are seeking information.

You may obtain your zoning in any of these ways:

Show All Answers

1. What are the fees for different Planning Department services?
2. How do I make a request for project notification?
3. What is my zoning?
4. How can I change my zoning?
5. How do I get a map of my property?
6. Can my property be subdivided?
7. Are there any environmental constraints on my property?
8. What are my building setbacks?
9. Can I put a Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) on my property?
10. Who is authorized to prepare biological inventories in the unincorporated County?
11. How do I file a land use complaint?
12. Is my property in a floodplain?
13. Can I have animals on my property?
14. What are the timelines for processing land use permits?