Edible Food

Edible food is defined as food that is safe for human consumption. Unfortunately, too much of it ends up being wasted.  More efforts are needed to get wasted edible food to those who are hungry. 

SB 1383 establishes two “tiers” of commercial edible food generators to which the regulations apply. Beginning January 1, 2022, Tier 1 generators must arrange for recovery of edible food and keep a record of recovery activities including a contract with a food recovery organization(s). Beginning January 1, 2024, Tier 2 generators will be required to the requirements described above.

Tier 1 Commercial Edible Food Generators

  • Supermarkets;
  • Grocery stores with a total facility size equal to or greater than 10,000 square feet;
  • Food service providers;
  • Food distributors; and
  • Wholesale food vendors.

Tier 2 Commercial Edible Food Generators

  • Restaurants with 250 or more seats, or a total facility size equal to or greater than 5,000 square feet;
  • Hotels with an on‐site food facility and 200 or more rooms;
  • Health facilities with an on‐site food facility and 100 or more beds;
  • Large venues;
  • Large events;
  •  State agencies with a cafeteria with 250 or more seats or total cafeteria facility size equal to or greater than 5,000 square feet; and   
  • Local education agency facilities with an on‐site food facility.

For more information including model contracts, please visit CalRecycle's Food Recovery page

Commercial Edible Food Generator Requirements

  • Secure contracts or written agreements with Edible Food Recovery Services and/or Organizations to recover the maximum amount of edible food that would otherwise be disposed of. Visit the CalRecycle Food Donors page to read their Model Food Recovery Agreement to use as a reference when creating your own agreement. 
  • Maintain a list and copy of all Edible Food Recovery Services and/or Organization's contracts or agreements that collect or receive its edible food.
  • Maintain a record of the following for each contract or written agreement; 1) name, address, and contact information of the service or organization, 2) the types of food that will be collected by or self-hauled to the service or organization, 3) the established frequency that food will be collected or self-hauled, and 4) the pounds of food per month collected or self-hauled to a service or organization for food recovery.   

Potential Places to Donate Food:

  • Placer County Food Bank
  • Sierra Community House
  • Interfaith Ministry
  • Nevada County Food Bank

For more detailed information, visit: 

Show All Answers

1. Generator Requirements
2. Methods for Prevention
3. Environmental Benefits
4. Self-Hauling Organic Waste
5. Edible Food
6. Organics Recycling Guide
7. Assembly Bill (AB) 1826
8. Assembly Bill (AB) 341
9. Assembly Bill (AB) 939