Teen Suicidal Thoughts

In Case of Emergency, Dial 911

Suicide Prevention Hotlines

About Suicidal Thoughts

The teen years can be intense. They can be both amazing and tough. Emotional and social changes go right along with all the physical changes. These are the times when you are striving for independence and establishing stronger bonds with friends. You might be worried about grades, relationships, fitting in with a group at school or your body image. Some teens feel depression or hopelessness because they are in situations that are truly beyond any teen's coping skills - sexual abuse, an alcoholic or drug addicted parent, or other serious family problems.

Feelings of isolation and depression can result. While adolescent females are less likely to commit suicide than their male counterparts, they are more prone to thoughts of suicide and suicide attempts. Having continual thoughts of suicide indicate a more serious problem. Having a specific plan about how one would commit suicide is even more serious. There is help out there. Tell your parents or another trusted adult what is going on and how you are feeling. Read on for more advice on how to cope and what to do.

If you are very concerned about your self or someone you care about and feel they are in immediate danger, please call 911. They will help!

When Not in Immediate Danger

If you are not in immediate danger and just want someone to talk to contact:
  • A Parent or Trusted Adult
  • A private therapist or counselor
  • A school counselor or psychologist Your clergy member
  • Your family doctor
  • A teacher or a school nurse

What's Up Wellness

If you feel like you need more support, you can participate in our Teen Screen "What's Up? Wellness Checkups" program through all the NJUHSD and TTUSD high schools. With parental and teen consent, a one time in-school "Checkup" can give you an emotional health snapshot and support in finding follow up connections.  You can also download screening consents for your teen directly from the site and bring them to your school counselor.